Archive for Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Remember When

November 19, 2008

10 Years Ago

(Nov. 19, 1998)

The USD 458 (Basehor-Linwood) Board of Education officially adopted “Glenwood Ridge” as the name for the new elementary school.

The Edwardsville Christian Church had services in its sanctuary for the first time since it was damaged by a flood in October.

Winners in the weekly Chieftain-Sentinel Grid Guessing Game were: Jan Masters, first; Brian Van Mol, second; and Dick Burns, third.

A community choir and the Bonner Springs United Methodist Church Bell Choir presented special music at the Union Thanksgiving services.

Winners of the student of the month award at Basehor-Linwood High School were: Micah Bray, Megan Creed, Lisa Hallier and Courtney Reed.

25 Years Ago

(Nov. 24, 1983)

Employees of Lone Star Cement Co. delivered Thanksgiving baskets to 10 local families.

The Marion Vaughn Christmas Fund and the C&D Center were combining efforts to improve the holiday program to aid needy families. Ralph Creger was director of the C&D Center.

The Comptroller of the Currency gave tentative approval to the application to form the First National Bank of Bonner Springs.

Kenneth Tewell, superintendent of schools, was the guest speaker at the meeting of the Bonner Springs High School Booster Club.

Hughes Suffren and Rob Stewart were named to the all-EKL football team.

The league champion Bonner Springs first grade soccer team played a Leavenworth team before the Kansas City Comets indoor soccer game. Don Wheeler was the coach of the Bonner Springs team.

50 Years Ago

(Nov. 20, 1958)

The Bonner Springs Lions Club and American Legion combined efforts to hold a successful broom sale. Both clubs earned $100 at the event, which sold brooms made by blind persons.

The Rev. Warren Shepherd, Rehm’s Park Baptist Church, was the speaker for the Ministerial Alliance’s Union Thanksgiving services.

Coach Gene Cox’s Bonner Springs Braves football team finished the year with a 4-5 record after defeating DeSoto, 44-7.

Mrs. Otis Tinberg was president of the Sacred Heart PTA and Mrs. Paul Arnsman was first vice president.

Karen Burcham was reporter for the Bonner Springs 4-H Club. Kathy Stockwell gave a demonstration on the proper way to set a table at the club’s meeting.

100 Years Ago

(Nov. 19, 1908)

Three loads of machinery arrived in Bonner Springs for the new mill. Mr. Kern, a millwright from Lawrence, was in charge of the detail work.

A teenage boy was accidentally shot and killed while hunting outside Bonner Springs. He dropped his gun, which discharged and caused the fatal wound.

The New Century Club planned a meeting at the home of Mrs. Harry Newbold.

The barber shop in Edwardsville was moving to the Joe Kindred property next to the blacksmith shop. A.W. Holmes purchased the jewelry store in Bonner Springs from G. W. Kelly.

A Thanksgiving night dinner was planned at the Jewett School.

George Foote, C. L. David, J. P. Bailey, J. A. White, Frank Warner and James Michael were elected as elders at the Christian Church.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.