Archive for Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Cat credited with warning owner of blaze found safe hours later

November 25, 2008, 11:07 a.m.

Updated: November 25, 2008, 5:05 p.m.

A heroic feline has been found.

On Tuesday morning, a house cat saved the day for a rural McLouth family, as the family pet woke up homeowner Ben Pierron as the house caught fire about two miles west of McLouth.

Carl Chalfant, fire chief for McLouth City/Union Township No. 9, said the owner told him smoke alarms in the home weren’t sounding when the blaze started, but the family’s cat woke him up when the fire started.

The cat could not be found after the blaze, so it was thought the animal might not have survived the fire.

However, the fire chief reported Tuesday afternoon that the cat had been found in a storm shelter near the home.

Chalfant received a call about 4 a.m. that there was a fire at 17858 Kansas Highway 16.

The house was a total loss, Chalfant said, and the fire was “pretty intense” when firefighters arrived.

“We’re pretty sure it’s an electric short, but it’s still under investigation at this point,” Chalfant said.

Other agencies that responded to the fire were: Oskaloosa, Winchester and Ozawkie city fire departments and Sarcoxie, Fairview and Rural township fire departments.

— Shawn Linenberger, news editor at The (Tonganoxie) Mirror, may be reached at (913) 845-2222.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.