Construction complications move EMS station completion date again
Construction on the new Leavenworth County EMS station continues about a month behind schedule.
On Thursday, Leavenworth County Commissioners heard an update from Don Pruitt, of Horst, Terrill & Karst Architects, and John Chapman of Trickle Construction. The new deadline for construction is set for the end of December, after the original Oct. 26 deadline and after a Nov. 3 extension deadline.
“I know you’re not interested in how we got to this point,” Pruitt said. “It has been frustrating on our part. It seems like every progress meeting, you would always ask for a construction schedule update and it would always continue to slip.”
Pruitt said he thought crews were close enough to a completion that the new date should be pretty accurate.
But as the county awaits the completion, it is incurring additional costs from the project.
Additionally, the new EMS vehicles the county purchased will need to find a temporary home until the new station is opened. The old EMS station is not big enough for the new vehicles scheduled for delivery Dec. 7. Even if Trickle were to finish the ambulance bays before the end of December, Jamie Miller, EMS director, said he could not staff anyone to work in a partially completed building.
The commission unanimously voted to extend Trickle’s sales tax exemption until the end of the year.
In other business Thursday, the commission:
• Unanimously voted to change the county’s e-mail policy to no longer archive countywide e-mails, but to have each department handle its own archiving. The county will now only keep e-mails for 30 days.
• Listened to a monthly update from the Public Works Department.
More like this story
- 2 charged after niece rescued from sweltering car in Kansas
- Tonganoxie youth remembered for 'lighting up a room'
- Authorities announce name of pedestrian killed in Bonner Springs accident
- Fascinating fasteners: Bonner woman shares button hobby through 'traveling museum'
- Douglas County Fair returns July 24 with new theme, kiddie derby