10 Years Ago
(October 1, 1998)
Weldon Padgett was named as Bonner Springs city manager replacing Tom Cooley who was retiring.
USD 204 (Bonner Springs-Edwardsville) School District started a Youth Friends program with Larry Berg, director. Barbara Sangster was the first volunteer in the new program.
Laura Jackson and Cody Vasquez were crowned as Bonner Springs High School homecoming queen and king. The senior class float won first place in parade competition.
More than 270 classic vehicles were entered in the Basehor-Linwood car show.
Chad Anderson rushed for 242 yards as Bonner Springs defeated Sumner Academy 28-7.
Dan Marx was installed as the new president of the Edwardsville Kiwanis Club. Jim Eickhoff was the first vice president and John Ellison was the second vice president.
25 Years Ago
(October 4, 1984)
Charlene Biles was appointed as executive secretary of the Bonner Springs-Edwardsville Chamber of Commerce.
A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held for the new Bonner Springs Wal-Mart Store. Among those taking part were Mayor Reece Kuhn, Ray Cox, Chamber of Commerce president, and Margaret Baker, store manager.
Sophia DeLeon was crowned as the Bonner Springs High School homecoming queen. Becki Bernard and Janice Stephan were senior attendants. Others in the royal party were: Robin Roberts and Mary Beshore, junior. In addition, a reception was held for previous Bonner Springs High School homecoming queens.
The USD 204 Board of Education approved building two tennis courts adjacent to the new junior high building.
50 Years Ago
(October 2, 1958)
Mrs. Glen Price was elected president of the Mothers Club for Boy Scout Troop 41. Other officers elected were: Mrs. Joseph Merriam, secretary; Mrs. Orville Aldridge, treasurer, and Mrs. Leonard Wright, historian.
Mr. and Mrs. N. G. Brewer purchased a home at Lake Forest.
An estimated 50 boys and girls performed with hula hoops at halftime of the Bonner Springs-Rosedale football game at Lions Park.
A goal of $659,787 was established for the United Way Campaign of Wyandotte County. O. W. Davis was president of the organization.
Dr. Maurice Laing, John Cox and Arnold Fairchild were elected to the board of directors at Lake Forest.
100 Years Ago
(October 1, 1908)
W. S. Twist contracted with the Union Pacific Railroad to furnish batteries for all signals.
George A. Peters, owner of the Electric Theatre, traveled to Kansas City, Kan., to secure more and better bookings for the facility.
The Lutheran Church announced plans to hold services in English on Sunday afternoons at the Methodist Church.
John Klamm purchased the Star Bakery.
J. O. Lewis purchased a farm near Houston, Texas, and planned to move in the spring.
Bonner Springs High School was discussing the possibility of starting a girls basketball team. Meanwhile the football team was practicing for its game against Gardner.