CMS eighth-graders beat Atchison
The Clark Middle School eighth-grade football team defeated Atchison on Tuesday, 30-22.
Atchison opened the game with a long drive, but after that the Clark defense dominated the line of scrimmage.
Clark jumped out to a large lead before Atchison tacked on two late touchdowns to make things interesting. An 11-yard carry by Aaron Puckett on first down sealed the deal for Clark.
Puckett rushed 10 times for 105 yards and two touchdowns, and Matt Call carried the ball 13 times for 136 yards. He also scored three 2-point conversions for CMS.
In addition, Johnathan Blackwell completed three of four pass attempts for 33 yards, including a 9-yard touchdown pass to Robbie Jones. Coltin Buckley also scored on a 9-yard run.
Behind a strong performance by the offensive line, CMS piled up 251 rushing yards and nearly 300 yards of total offense.
Defensively, Call and Justin Dyer had six tackles apiece and Blackwell forced a fumble. Ryan Schuler had five tackles and Koby Hobbs made an interception late in the game that helped thwart Atchison’s bid for a comeback.
Clark now is 4-2 this season. It closes out the season at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at home against Jefferson West.
More like this story
- Health Department workshop teaches health-related community planning
- Basehor, Bonner locations available for prescription safe disposal
- Tonganoxie youth remembered for 'lighting up a room'
- Wyandotte County Fair schedule of events
- Baldwin City resident killed, another injured in motorcycle wreck in southern Leavenworth County