10 Years Ago
(Oct. 15, 1998)
The Bonner Springs Fire Department had an open house featuring activities for children.
Jamie Oberg and Justin Sharp were crowned as Basehor-Linwood High School homecoming queen and king.
The Bonner Springs City Library held an open house for its new children’s activity area. The program featured Roger Miller, local magician.
The Edwardsville Police Department took first place in its division for seat belt education and enforcement. Chief John Ellison and Officer Larry Doty were shown in a photograph receiving the award.
Tom Cooley, city manager, said Bonner Springs was studying a variety of projects to help alleviate flash flooding.
25 Years Ago
(Oct. 20, 1983)
A benefit auction was planned for the Marion Vaughn Christmas Exchange. The Edwardsville Kiwanis Club was heading up planning for the event.
Bonner Springs held its Market Day celebration. In a photo, Wendy Inlow was shown face painting Eric Attebery.
Jane Hanks was the new president of the Bonner Springs BPW. Sharon Hansen was honored as BPW “Woman of the Year.”
Jean Mills was named to the all-tournament team at the Tonganoxie tournament. Kathy Bates was a member of the KCKCC Lady Blue Devil Classic all-tournament team.
The Maywood Community Church celebrated its 100th anniversary.
Mabel Brauer was worthy matron of the Bonner Springs Eastern Star.
50 Years Ago
(Oct. 16, 1958)
Bonner Springs High School homecoming royalty candidates were: Marcia Wendt, Genna Layman, Karen Einhelig, Barbara Byers, Roberta Huseby and Gerrie Scofield.
Frank J. Stuchlik, cashier, announced that total assets of the Commercial State Bank were in excess of $2.5 million. Directors were: C. S. Kreider, A. F. Watson, Ernest Frey, Lee Weeks, James C. Kreider and LeRoy Bradfield.
The American Legion Auxiliary met at the home of Mrs. Scott Jones.
The pipe organ at the Bonner Springs Methodist Church was being refurbished.
Mrs. C. E. Connell was the new correspondent for Lake Forest.
The Basehor Alumni Association was sponsoring a homecoming dance at the new high school building.
100 Years Ago
(Oct. 15, 1908)
Rapid progress was reported on the Bonner Springs water works project. The contractor had 50 men working on the project. The project was slowed when workers found human bones when digging a trench. The bones were turned over to undertaker Twist.
George Kreeck was working on starting a library for Bonner Springs. He met with the state library association to discuss the project and announced he would pay for half of the expenses incurred in starting a library. Interested parties were asked to commit to pay for the remaining half.
R D. Troup was building a new six-room farm home a few miles from Bonner Springs. The new home featured a modern bathroom.
A team of horses used to pull a wagon owned by the Portland Cement Co. was frightened by an oncoming automobile. The team bolted and the wagon was overturned dumping three men on the ground. Fortunately, the three had only minor injuries.
More like this story
- Wine and shine: Leadership class celebrating 25 years tonight at Holy-Field
- Generating change: Ag Hall looks to reinfuse energy with Barnyard Babies event
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Basehor library program offers tips on butterfly, bird habitats
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets