10 Years Ago
(Oct. 29, 1998)
Bonner Springs High School students announced its fall musical, “Bye, Bye Birdie.” Steve Strom was the director.
The children’s activity center was dedicated at the Bonner Springs City Library and featured murals painted by Joanne Leininger. Children shown in the photo were: Kinsey Ford, Jared Clements and Emma Stucki.
The Basehor Kiwanis Club announced plans for its annual pancake breakfast.
George Collins was promoted to lieutenant in the Bonner Springs Police Department.
Jennifer Lindelof, a second-grade teacher, was named to the athletic hall of fame at Dana College.
25 Years Ago
(Nov. 2, 1983)
Litigation challenging Bonner Springs’ annexation into Johnson County was to be heard by the Kansas Supreme Court.
Winners in the first- and second-grade division of the Chamber of Commerce Halloween window-decorating contest were: Christopher Green, first; Kelli Courtney, second and Robbie Reeves, third.
U. S. Rep. Jan Meyers and State Rep. Al Ramirez were speakers at the BPW meeting.
Louisa Fletcher presented a program on her trip to China, Russia and Finland at the NAACP meeting.
The Bonner Springs High School Band Booster Club was selling stadium cushions as a fundraiser. Those shown in a photo displaying the cushions were: Rhonda Newton, Patricia Neal, Jeff Foster and Martin Whipple.
JR Nolting was chairman of the Bonner Springs Optimist Club Youth Appreciation program.
50 Years Ago
(Oct. 30, 1958)
Ralph D. Wagner and D. W. Hininger joined Mrs. Evelyn Hulburd in heading the United Fund drive in Bonner Springs.
A total of 1,450 voters were registered in Bonner Springs.
Seniors who were listed on the Bonner Springs High School honor roll were: Linda Chandley, Loretta Conway, Jim Reynolds, Ed Roberts, Bob Frey, Vickie Roweth, George Wendt, Julia Wilkerson and Sharon Worley.
Theodore A. Stolfus was a veterinary medicine student at Kansas State.
The Berean Bible Class of the Bonner Springs Baptist Church met at the home of Mrs. Aubrey Day with Mrs. Dennis Hubbel as co-hostess.
100 Years Ago
(Oct. 29, 1908)
Farmers in Leavenworth County were protesting higher taxes. The valuation of some farm land was raised by 25 percent,sparking an angry response. Public meetings to fight the higher taxes were scheduled in several townships.
Dr. H. C. Hays reminded persons that hunting was prohibited in the area between Lake of the Woods and the sanitarium. He said a hunter accidentally fired a shot through a window at his residence.
The Rev. Pritle was holding services every Sunday at the Edwardsville Christian Church.
Dedication ceremonies were announced for the new Lutheran Church in Wallula.
A one-story building was being constructed on Oak Street. The new facility was on the site of one of the buildings destroyed by the fire. All of the burned-out foundations had been removed and other new buildings were planned.