Archive for Wednesday, September 3, 2008

BLHS goals come early, often

September 3, 2008

Basehor-Linwood's Beau Himpel goal five minutes into Tuesday's soccer match against Atchison proved to be the game-winner.

But it hardly was the only score of the day for the Bobcats.

Himpel's goal started a steady scoring attack for the Bobcats, who scored six first-period goals en route to a 10-0 victory, in a game that ended nine minutes early.

Himpel also scored a goal later in the game. Symon Seaton scored three goals in the game for Basehor's first hat trick of the season.

Tanner Bowers, Nathan Smith, Cory Stephens, Devin Ridder and Patrick Rutherford each scored goals in the game, which ended nine minutes early because of the 10-goal rule.

"We played a very good game, we did a lot of the things we were working on," coach Kevin Vincent said. "Our offense, obviously, came together. A lot of the things we struggled on in the last game, we did tonight. We used the entire field to balance our attack."

On defense, goalie Ryan Lawless earned the shutout. He has allowed just one goal in the first two games of the season.

The Bobcats took pride in the shutout.

"At halftime I told the guys, 'my biggest thing is we can beat a team by however many goals, but a shutout means the whole team played well. Goals show the individual had a nice game, but a shutout shows that the whole team did a nice job to keep the other team from scoring,'" Vincent said.

Basehor-Linwood also wanted to win a game after dropping the season opener to De Soto, 1-0 on Friday.

De Soto's Paul Oswald scored a goal midway through the first period, which was the difference in the soccer game.

The ball found its way past the Basehor-Linwood defenders and into the goal. The score came at a time in the first period when Basehor-Linwood wasn't playing particularly well.

At halftime, Vincent spoke with his players about what was expected of them.

"I didn't think we played nearly to the level of what we are capable of playing in the first half," Vincent said. "It was definitely frustrating, at halftime we were intense. The guys knew that they needed to come out and change the way they were doing things."

When the ball was put in to play to start the second period, Basehor-Linwood played tighter defense.

On offense, Basehor-Linwood moved the soccer ball better. The Bobcats attempted numerous shots on goal, but failed to make a single goal.

"We had scoring chances and just weren't able to finish them," Vincent said. "As hard as we tried, we couldn't get them to fall for us."

Neither team scored in the second period, but Vincent was pleased with how the game ended.

"The second half was a bright spot," Vincent said. "We can work with that moving forward."

Basehor-Linwood's next action is at Tonganoxie at 6 p.m. Thursday.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.