10 Years Ago
(Sept. 3, 1998)
Greg Weber was the winner of the Marion Vaughn Community Service Award during the Tiblow Days celebration. The Bonner Beautiful Commission won the centennial trophy for having the best historic entry in the parade and the Bonner Springs Senior Citizens won the mayor's trophy.
Three bands participated in the parade. They were: Bonner Springs, Basehor-Linwood and Piper.
Kim Zarate and Becky Brents were the only returning letter winners for the Bonner Springs High School volleyball team. Megan Hannon was the only returning senior for the Basehor-Linwood volleyball team.
Bruce Chladnay was teaching a class on tree care as part of the fall S.P.I.C.E. program.
Harold (Woody) Berry was chairperson of the Bonner Springs-Edwardsville division for the United Way campaign.
25 Years Ago
(Sept. 1, 1983)
The Rehm's Park Baptist Church won the mayor's trophy for having the best float in the Tiblow Days parade. Peggy Spillman was the winner of the Marion Vaughn Community Service Award.
A ground-breaking ceremony was held for the proposed Sandstone Amphitheater. Among those taking part were Mayor Reece Kuhn, Pat Scherzer, Clyde Townsend, Wyandotte County commissioners and Mike Connor, park director.
Joe Forlenza was chairman of the local division of the United Way drive.
Steve Lewis resigned as director of planning and community development for the city of Bonner Springs.
New officers for the Bonner Springs High School Booster Club were: Gene Shevling, president; Ken Reed, treasurer; and Dorothy Sechrist, secretary.
Hot weather resulted in early dismissal for area schools.
50 Years Ago
(Sept. 4, 1958)
Greeley Gas Co. announced plans for a new merchandise sales department in Bonner Springs. Homer Miesse, local manager, also announced plans to tear down two houses to make room for a new office building.
The Chieftain was expanding its facilities. The newspaper contracted to lease the adjacent space in the Lee Building.
Mrs. Miles Coiner and Mrs. Jack Pruitt were leaders of the local Girl Scout troop.
A total of 90 students were signed up to attend the new Sacred Heart School. Teachers were Sister Helen Marie, Sister Cecele and Mrs. Don Osborne.
Bonner Springs Rural High School opened classes with an enrollment of 456 students.
100 Years Ago
(Sept. 3, 1908)
Mayor Clark received word that the Kansas Board of Health had approved Bonner Springs' application and plans for a new water and sewer system.
More than 100 persons attended the Bonner Springs Methodist Church Sunday School picnic at McCoy's Grove in Johnson County.
J. R. Poltner signed a contract to build a four-room cottage for Mrs. Archie Jazzard on Kump Avenue.
Farmers State Bank announced that it had added 23 area farmers as stockholders.
Dave Johnson, telegraph operator at the Union Pacific depot, was transferred to Topeka.
Fred Johnson and Milton Jones, of Girard, purchased the Bonner Springs Steam Laundry and announced plans to install $1,000 in new equipment.
A man who was arrested for stealing $54 escaped from the Bonner Springs jail before he could be tried. Authorities were conducting an area-wide search for the fugitive.
More like this story
- Army to resume cleanup at former Sunflower ammunition plant
- Given development potential, Basehor studies incentives
- State creates quarantine zone for bird flu in rural Leavenworth, Wyandotte counties
- Hollywood Casino pushes back against requests of Woodlands owner
- Kansas lawmakers draft new plan to raise taxes to fix budget