USM to play first game on “home” field Saturday against Bethel
The University of Saint Mary will celebrate the grand opening of its new football/soccer complex, north of McGilley Field House, at 1:30 p.m. this Saturday, Sept. 20, when the Spires football team plays its first home game on campus.
USM is inviting all its football alumni to a big tailgate party at 11 a.m. before the game against Bethel College. Game tickets are $5.
The Bethel Threshers are ranked 13th in the nation in the Sept. 15 NAIA Football Top 25 Coaches' Poll after an opening weekend 17-6 win over Kansas Wesleyan. The Spires also won their opening game 26-20 over Southwestern College.
The complex is on the northwest side of campus, along Hughes Road. The new complex features bleacher-style seats for 1,000 fans, two patios, goalposts, a new scoreboard, a climate controlled press box with seven rooms, and sidewalks from the parking lot to the bleacher section that are wheelchair accessible.
The Spires football team has leased area football fields since the team was first established in 2000, playing the past two season home games at Platte City High School. The football team first played at Abeles Field in Leavenworth, moving to Lansing High School in 2004.
Learn more about Spires sports teams, including the new football/soccer complex, at www.gospires.com.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Kansas City Connection: Dance festival, Big Picnic, Van Halen make braving summer heat worth it
- Education focus: JCCC CDL training puts students in the driver's seat for a new career
- No. 2 Basehor-Linwood boys roll past Spring Hill
- Kansas City Connection: A new home for Halls