Archive for Thursday, August 13, 2009

Remember When: Aug. 13, 2009

August 13, 2009

10 Years Ago (Aug. 12, 1999)

Randy Doerksen was the new principal at Bonner Springs Elementary School and Tammy Eldridge was the new vice principal.

Lavender Lane opened for business in the Basehor Shopping Center. The business was owned by Carol Sharp, Karen Eickenbary and Ginny Sestrich.

Tim McGinnis, principal, announced a new dress code for Clark Middle School.

A total of 26 children were entered in the Little Miss-Mr. Tiblow contest conducted by the Jaycees.

The residence of Phil and Debra Glendening received the Bonner Beautiful “Yard of the Month” award.

Coach Kristi Hoffine announced plans for volleyball practice at Bonner Springs High School. Kevin Suther was the head volleyball coach at Basehor-Linwood High School.

25 Years Ago (Aug. 16, 1984)

Doug Richards opened the KC Muffler and Auto Repair Shop in Edwardsville.

Sister Lawrence Heinzman was the new principal at Sacred Heart School.

Gene Jarrett was chairperson for the NAACP Freedom Fund dinner.

Linda Pope was crowned Northeast Kansas Honey Queen.

Byron McConnoughey resigned as mayor of Linwood. He was replaced by Don Rose, president of the council.

Rhonda Newton, Tiblow 4-H Club, showed the grand champion market steer at the Wyandotte County Fair.

Bill Beall and Jerold Fletcher were coaches of the Bonner Springs entry in the David Jaynes league.

50 Years Ago (August 13, 1959)

A fundraising drive was started for the Agricultural Hall of Fame. Mayor Del Hininger was heading up the effort.

Edwardsville Elementary School announced that a $5 book fee would be collected when students enrolled for classes.

Efforts were being made to form a sports booster club at Bonner Springs High School.

Dedication ceremonies were planned for the new Rehm’s Park Baptist Church building.

The Rev. Donald A. Kessler was pastor of the Bonner Springs United Methodist Church.

Frank Schirmer Jr. was guest speaker at the Bonner Springs BPW meeting.

Clarence Peterson was teaching judo classes in the area.

100 Years Ago (August 12, 1909)

H. S. Garwood was appointed Bonner Springs fire chief. The city council also named Harry Longfellow as assistant chief. The city council tabled a request from residents in the northern area of Bonner Springs for a fire hose.

The Rev. E. M. Daniels was elected president of the Bonner Springs Chautauqua Association. The Rev. O. W. Moomaw was the new vice president. Other officers were J. D. Waters, treasurer and George Kreeck, secretary.

William Dunire caught 12 catfish at Lake Forest.

A new heavy duty trip hammer was installed by A. LaRock at his blacksmith shop.

Barker hit a home run as the Bonner Springs Grays defeated Fletcher Candy Co., 10-0. There was a very small attendance and gate receipts did not cover expenses.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.