Flash flood warning issued for Leavenworth, Wyandotte counties
A flash flood warning is now in effect for Leavenworth and Wyandotte counties until 3 p.m. today.
This morning, after heavy rains, Leavenworth County Emergency Management reported a high-water Rescue on Second Street in leavenworth. In addition, Kansas Highway 5 was closed near Lansing due to high water.
Kansas City International airport has received 1.61 inches in the past two hours. Runoff from this excessive rainfall will cause flash flooding to occur. Some locations that will experience flooding include Basehor, Bonner springs, Edwardsville, Kansas city Kansas, Lansing, Leavenworth, and Tonganoxie.
Do not drive your vehicle into areas where the water covers the roadway. The water depth may be too great to allow your car to cross safely. Report flooding to the nearest law enforcement agency so that appropriate action can be taken to close flooded roadways. Law Enforcement officials will relay your report to the National Weather Service in Pleasant Hill.
More like this story
- BLAS continues to add families to Christmas 'Adopt-A-Family' program
- Creating a family: Agency seeks more foster families; greatest need in Wyandotte County
- Report: More Kansas children in poverty from 2008 to 2013
- Royals legend helps Gold Glove Week thrive
- Face to Face: Basehor craft show leader Pam Maughmer