Winter weather advisory expired but roads still dangerous
The winter weather advisory for the area has expired, but drivers in Wyandotte and Leavenworth counties are urged to still use caution and drive at least 10 mph below posted speeds.
Wind chill values between 4 degrees above and 9 degrees below zero, in addition to wind gusts as high as 34 mph blowing snow across the roads, have resulted in snow packed roads and slick driving conditions. Officials with the Kansas Department of Transportation say, due to the temperature, it is difficult to get roadways clear.
Wind gusts are expected to die down by late afternoon, allowing for safer driving conditions. There are no road closures reported at this time.
More like this story
- 2015 Candidate questionnaire: James Blancarte, Linwood City Council
- State officials ready to work with Bonner Springs's K-7 requests
- U.S. Soccer National Training Complex to begin construction by summer
- Basehor-Linwood falls short of perfect season
- Verruckt is 'terrifying, but great,' says KCK mayor