10 Years Ago (Feb. 25, 1999)
Norman L. Maier, Bonner Springs, was appointed area deputy Grand Master for Area 2 of the Kansas Masonic Lodges.
The Basehor-Linwood High School band participated in a joint concern with Kansas City, Kan., Community College and Tonganoxie. Jim Sharp was the Basehor-Linwood band director.
Adam Berry and Carla Dechman were crowned as Bonner Springs High School courtwarming royalty.
Frieda Epp and Alice Campbell were installed as co-chairpersons of the Bonner Springs-Edwardsville Area Singles.
25 Years Ago (March 1, 1983)
Barbara Loyd resigned from her post as a member of the Edwardsville City Council. She was the first woman to be elected to the Edwardsville council and resigned due to a move from the community.
Gail Colnar led the Linwood High School basketball team in scoring with an average of 15.4 points per game.
Lori Scott, vocal music teacher at Pioneer Jr. High, presented a contemporary gospel concert at Asbury United Methodist Church.
Dave Johnson was chairman of the Edwardsville Raft Race. The event was sponsored by the Edwardsville Jaycees.
50 Years Ago (March 5, 1959)
A site north of Bonner Springs was selected for the proposed Agricultural Hall of Fame. The city joined with area leaders to promote the location of the facility in Wyandotte County. Del Hininger was raising money to purchase the land for the Ag Hall.
C. K. Wilcox, superintendent of grade schools, was released from his contract to accept a post with a rural district in the Wichita area. Jack Haynes was president of the grade school board of education.
The Rev. W. I. Hastie was the guest speaker at the blue and gold banquet of Cub Pack 3041.
Bonner Springs voters were being asked to decide whether local water supplies should be fluoridated.
Alberta Trent, Edwardsville, won a ping pong table given during the grand opening of Mindendahl’s TV and Appliance Store.
100 Years Ago (Feb. 25, 1909)
David Holyfield, secretary of the Lenape Drainage Association, was accepting bids to make improvements including installation of a concrete runoff.
Local boys discovered a cave opposite the feed store and notified the city marshal. Inside, he discovered shovels and other tools. He said it was possibly a hideout for thieves and was placing the entrance under surveillance.
The Magnolia Café opened for business in the Frisbie building. F. E. Eaton was the owner.
Baseball enthusiasts were busy preparing the local diamond for summer action.
The Cooper and Pigg Co. announced purchase of new upholstery equipment.
L. A. Abbott moved from Wamego to Bonner Springs and purchased the A. W. Petit Store.
More like this story
- Society explains lack of action with Basehor's 1905 library
- Kansas State awards $500K in grants for global food research
- Kansas attorney general appoints new civil litigation chief
- Audit finds UMKC business school ran up deficit to boost ranking
- Reviewing the legacy of a 'good, but unfortunate' president