Archive for Saturday, January 24, 2009

Court hearing scheduled for Tonganoxie youth accused of bringing bomb device to school

January 24, 2009

Boy in bomb case to appear in court

Adobe Flash player 9 is required to view this video
Get Adobe Flash player

A 12-year-old boy is said to appear Monday in Leavenworth County District Court. Enlarge video

A 12-year-old Tonganoxie boy who took a homemade explosive device to school Thursday will appear Monday in Leavenworth County District Court.

Leavenworth County Attorney Todd Thompson said he was awaiting more information before deciding whether to file charges.

Tonganoxie police described the device as a cardboard BB wrapper, with a fuse, that had been packed with BBs and the powder from two M-80s.

Mike Vestal, Tonganoxie mayor and a police dispatcher, said the device had the potential to injure or kill people if ignited.

According to Tonganoxie police Lt. Billy Adcox, the youth had no intent to harm anyone. Thursday morning, the boy showed the device to other students, one of whom later told administrators about it.

The school was locked down and the Leavenworth City/County Bomb Squad safely detonated the device at a nearby rock quarry.

The student is serving a 10-day school suspension. A hearing will be at the school district’s central office during that period. Kyle Hayden, assistant superintendent, said the typical discipline for such an offense is expulsion for the remainder of the school year or for a full calendar year.

The boy was taken to the Leavenworth Juvenile Detention Center, where an official said Friday she could not discuss whether the boy was still there.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.