Tractor Daze to make its second appearance
Though the name implies tractors will get a starring role in this year’s Tractor Daze at the National Agricultural Center and Hall of Fame, they certainly won’t be the only highlight of the all-day event on Saturday, July 11.
Chief executive officer Tim Daugherty said one of the biggest features of the day would be the mud run at 5 p.m., where truck drivers will have the opportunity to see how far they can drive in a 5-foot deep pit of mud the consistency of Jell-O.
This is the second year Tractor Daze has been at the Agricultural Hall of Fame, but Daugherty said it is really a spin-off of a long-standing annual event formerly known as Farm Heritage Day.
“We wanted to kind of change the image up a little bit,” Daugherty said of why the name and the format were changed. “(Tractor Daze) is a little more current than Farm Heritage Days that didn’t have a lot of appeal.”
Tractor Daze, which is a benefit for the Agricultural Center, will feature such events as a tractor and equipment display and an antique tractor pull, as well as a threshing demonstration.
Daugherty said some differences from last year’s Tractor Daze would be the mud run and the live music that will be going on throughout the afternoon. Vendors will be there selling food and beverages and train rides will also be available throughout the day.
“We expect people to have a good time,” Daugherty said. “We expect a crowd that ranges clear across the spectrum, from little kids to the elderly to people who have never run a mud run before to people who want to see what’s going on. We think there’s something for everyone.”
Daugherty said, at the very least, he hoped the weather would hold up to avoid what happened last year during the first Tractor Daze: a cancellation of the event right in the middle of the day due to rain.
Tractor Daze will be at the National Agricultural Center and Hall of Fame, at 630 N. 126th St. Admission is $10 for adults and $7 for children. Advance tickets, at $9 for adults and $6 for children, are available at the Agricultural Center or at Price Chopper.
The schedule of events during Tractor Daze is as follows:
• 9 a.m.: Engine display
• 9 a.m.: Tractor and equipment display
• 10 a.m.: Antique tractor pull
• 10:30 a.m.: Threshing demonstration
• 11 a.m.: Kiddie tractor pull
• 11 a.m.: Registration starts for mud run
• 12 p.m.: Parade of power
• 1 p.m.: Garden tractor pull
• 1:30 p.m.: Dynamometer demonstration
• 2:30 p.m.: Threshing demonstration
• 3 p.m.: Kiddie tractor pull
• 3:45 p.m.: Registration ends for mud run
• 4 p.m.: Tractor games
• 5 p.m.: Mud run
For more information, contact the National Agriculture Center and Hall of Fame at (913) 721-1075.
More like this story
- Wichita School District to use bus drivers as custodians
- Off-duty Shawnee firefighter administers CPR to 4-year-old at Tonganoxie Water Park
- Tonganoxie youth remembered for 'lighting up a room'
- 2 Kansas school districts to close early because of budgets
- Basehor, Bonner area deals with aftermath of Monday's storm