Groom wins sixth title in a row at Sunflower
Steve Groom, the winner of three consecutive Wyandotte County Open championships, continued his string of trifectas by winning his third straight Sunflower Hills club championship on Sunday.
Groom fired a 2 under par 142 to capture the title. Runner-up Brad Ansley finished nine strokes back and Jerry Reid was 10 strokes back. Ansley and Reid also finished second and third last year.
Groom’s 142 was two shots better than the WyCo record of 144 but four shots off the club championship record of 138 that Groom established a year ago. The all-time leader with seven WyCo Open titles, Groom will be the heavy favorite to win an eighth title in the tourney Aug. 8-9.
Mike McNellis won the 36-hole A Flight with a 152 total while all other flights were contested over 18 holes. Other winners were Greg Schmidt, closest to the hole on No. 8; Daron Maier, longest putt on No. 9; and Greg Loethen, longest drive on No. 10.
More like this story
- Toddler hospitalized after being struck by lawn mower
- Edwardsville councilman accused of making racist statements
- Kansas City Connection: Grinders Pizza and Celebration at the Station
- State Fair to have designated smoking areas starting in 2016
- Kansas City Connection: City Market a hub for delicious ethnic food