Bonner Springs driver killed in I-70 accident
David L. Laffere, 48, of Bonner Springs was killed Tuesday morning in a three-car crash along Interstate 70, just past 110th Street.
The Kansas Turnpike Authority reported that Matthew Scott Cole, 22, of Topeka, was traveling at a high rate of speed when his 2006 Chevrolet came up on Laffere’s 2001 Chrysler van. Cole braked and swerved left to avoid Laffere.
Instead, Cole struck Virgil J. Taylor, 44, of Tecumseh, Kan., driving a 1993 Toyota SUV. Taylor’s SUV then slid into Laffere, and all three vehicles slid into the ditch.
The Kansas Turnpike Authority said Laffere’s vehicle rolled several times in the ditch, and Laffere was then ejected from the vehicle. Laffere was not wearing a seatbelt. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Cole and Taylor were wearing a seatbelt, the KTA reported.
More like this story
- Ex-candidate Wolf confronts Kansas Sen. Moran at town hall
- Changes in funding could change online offerings in Kansas
- Kansas ponders new protections for campus religious groups
- 2015 Candidate questionnaire: Gary Johnson, USD 458 Board of Education
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it