Bonner Springs driver killed in I-70 accident
David L. Laffere, 48, of Bonner Springs was killed Tuesday morning in a three-car crash along Interstate 70, just past 110th Street.
The Kansas Turnpike Authority reported that Matthew Scott Cole, 22, of Topeka, was traveling at a high rate of speed when his 2006 Chevrolet came up on Laffere’s 2001 Chrysler van. Cole braked and swerved left to avoid Laffere.
Instead, Cole struck Virgil J. Taylor, 44, of Tecumseh, Kan., driving a 1993 Toyota SUV. Taylor’s SUV then slid into Laffere, and all three vehicles slid into the ditch.
The Kansas Turnpike Authority said Laffere’s vehicle rolled several times in the ditch, and Laffere was then ejected from the vehicle. Laffere was not wearing a seatbelt. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Cole and Taylor were wearing a seatbelt, the KTA reported.
More like this story
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it
- K-State's response to open records request shows difficulty
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Former Kansas superintendent and 2 others sue over firings
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row