Archive for Thursday, June 18, 2009

Remember When

June 18, 2009

10 Years Ago (June 17, 1999)

Four firms were honored for their contribution to the area at the business appreciation luncheon. Businesses honored included: Berning Tire Co., Shelton Development Co. and Standard Motor Products. The Bonner Beautiful Awards were given to Longhorn Barbecue and Valley Feed Co.

Boris Sztorch, Edwardsville city administrator, was accepting applications for persons volunteering for local boards and commissions.

Leavenworth County Commissioners lowered the speed limit on Leavenworth County Road 2 from 50 mph to 40 mph.

Jamie Sangster attended the Hugh O’Brien Youth Leadership Seminar in Manhattan.

25 Years Ago (June 21, 1984)

Dr. Stan Hudson was named principal at Southwest School.

There was a ground-breaking ceremony for the new First National Bank of Bonner Springs. Among those taking part were: Bill Dahl, president; Rolla Lee, senior vice president; Ken May, Bonner Springs Industrial Development, Inc.; and Mayor Reece Kuhn. A mobile unit was moved to the parking lot to allow the bank to operate during construction of a permanent building.

Lisa Elmer won the outstanding student award at Edwardsville Elementary School.

Kristi Finley was named to the Missouri Valley AAU all-tournament basketball team.

Steven Ringel gave a talk on forestry at the meeting of the Glenwood 4-H Club.

50 Years Ago (June 18, 1959)

The Bonner Springs City Council approved the first master plan for the community.

A grand opening was planned for the Quick-Way Washerette, owned by Howard Baumgartner.

L. L. Smith was president of the local school alumni association.

William G. Sigley was hired as a social studies teacher and freshman football coach at Bonner Springs Rural High School.

The Bonner Springs City Band announced plans for its first concert. Ed Hill was chairman of the band committee.

The Ta-Ne-Wa Camp Fire Girls group had a ceremony at the Lake Forest Club House. Mrs. Graham Witherspoon was the leader.

100 Years Ago (June 17, 1909)

W. H. Routh purchased the Bonner Springs Hotel from Mrs. Maud Michael for $2,500.

The biggest event of the Bonner Springs social season was the New Century Club Spring Reception. Those in attendance enjoyed a variety of games.

The Union Pacific Railroad announced it would build a public drinking fountain if the city agreed to donate the water.

The Bonner Springs City Council in response to complaints lowered the monthly water rate from $2 to $1.50.

The Junior League planned a social following the city band concert.

A large crowd attended the Children’s Day program at the Maywood Church.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.