Linwood native is scholar-athlete at Ottawa
Linwood native Joel VanderVelde recently was named as a Daktronics-NAIA Scholar-Athlete at Ottawa University.
This is the second straight year that VanderVelde, a senior men’s basketball player, has been selected for this honor.
VanderVelde, a 6-foot-6 forward, was a four-year member of the Ottawa men’s basketball team. He appeared in 26 games as a senior and started the last five. He shot 35 percent from the floor and averaged 0.6 points and 1.2 rebounds per game.
He is a biology major.
In order to be a recipient of the Daktronics-NAIA Scholar-Athlete, one must be a junior or senior in academic standing, have been in attendance at the institution for a minimum of one full year, have a minimum grade-point average of 3.50 and at have been certified as eligible to participate in athletics at the university.
VanderVelde is a 2005 graduate of Basehor-Linwood High School.
More like this story
- Southern Leavenworth County Leadership Development to celebrate 25 years April 9
- Middle America braces for strong storms, possible tornadoes
- Wine and shine: Leadership class celebrating 25 years tonight at Holy-Field
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- 2015 Candidate questionnaire: Jeanette Klamm, USD 458 Board of Education