Historical society to feature Revolutionary War actor
A Revolutionary War soldier will be coming to Tonganoxie.
At 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 26 at the Tonganoxie Community Historic Site, 201 W. Washington St., Anna Smith will portray Deborah Samson, Revolutionary War soldier.
Disguised as a man, Massachusetts colonist Deborah Samson joined the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War to fight for independence from England.
Samson was the first known woman to receive a pension for military service, and first known woman lecturer of the 18th century.
The presentation is part of the Tonganoxie Community Historical Society’s monthly meeting.
The public is welcome to attend.
More like this story
- Revolutionary War re-enactor brings forgotten history to life
- Show your patriotism by investigating, claiming Revolutionary War ancestors
- Ike's war letter focus of program
- Museum presents 'Laundresses of the Army'
- Oral histories of World War II from 1940s era Kansans topic of historical society presentation Tuesday