Letter: Time right to adopt a dog
To the editor:
October is a month when anyone can be someone’s hero — by adopting a shelter dog to be a faithful companion in all of life’s adventures. American Humane’s “Adopt a Shelter Dog Month” is a perfect time to visit the shelter, meet potential sidekicks and discover how much fun and happiness a dog can add to life.
Some of the super-sized benefits of having a dog include companionship, improved physical and emotional health, social interaction and devoted love. Dogs encourage people to exercise, enhance family and social relationships, promote laughter and serve as a nonjudgmental audience and sounding board.
Many Kansans have already discovered the joys of dog ownership — Kansas is one of the top 10 dog-owning states in the nation. Sadly, there are still thousands of great sidekicks in shelters and rescues waiting for homes. You can find adoptable animals at all the shelters in the area by visiting Petfinder.com online.
Consider being someone’s hero by visiting a shelter and rescuing a new best friend. You may see that new best friend turns into a hero for you, too.
Crystal Swann Blackdeer
Leavenworth County Humane Society Inc.
More like this story
- The show must go on: Walcott competes at KU Relays, performs in school play in same night
- Bonner's 9th annual Marble Day debuts mascot
- Kansas Senate advances energy, elections, gambling proposals
- Basehor's 10th annual Dairy Days looking for sunny skies
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row