Former Basehor teacher finalist for state award
A former Basehor-Linwood teacher is in the final running for Kansas Teacher of the Year.
Rose M. Nemchik, former Glenwood Ridge Elementary teacher and current special education teacher at Riverview Elementary School in Shawnee, was nominated for 2010 Kansas Teacher of the Year. Nemchik, along with Karen M. Tritt, Spanish teacher at Shawnee Mission West High School in Overland Park, were named Region 3 finalists for the award this week during ceremonies at the Marriott Hotel in Overland Park.
As finalists, Nemchik and Tritt each received a $2,000 cash award from Security Benefit. Nemchik and Tritt are among six Teacher of the Year semi-finalists from Region 3.
Other semi-finalists were: Heather A. Sommer, an elementary special education teacher at Ray Marsh Elementary School in Shawnee; Paula A. Dix, an elementary music teacher at Manchester Park Elementary School in Lenexa; Martha Biggs, a high school English teacher at Olathe East High School; Joe Pickett, a high school science teacher at Eudora High School.
More like this story
- Kansas man charged with abuse after human remains found
- Police: 11 injured in Great Bend crash involving spider
- Toddler hospitalized after being struck by lawn mower
- Off-duty Shawnee firefighter administers CPR to 4-year-old at Tonganoxie Water Park
- 2 charged after niece rescued from sweltering car in Kansas