Bonner Springs resident wins big with Basehor lottery ticket
Watching a television show and acting on its message paid off to the tune of $75,000 for an 18-year-old Bonner Springs woman.
Ciara McDonnell, 18, remembers with absolute clarity how she came to win $75,000 after buying a lottery ticket in Basehor, where she works with her mother in a beauty salon.
“A few weeks ago, my mom and I were watching a TV show about how the lottery changed people’s lives. We decided right then and there we were going to try to win ourselves,” Ciara said.
And so Wednesday night, when Ciara and her parents were driving by the Casey’s store, 15441 Wolfcreek Parkway, Basehor, Ciara and Deborah made a spur-of-the-moment decision to stop and buy a few tickets. One of their purchases was a $10 scratch ticket called $2,000,000 Cash Bonanza, on which Ciara scratched off a $75,000 top prize.
Once Ciara was satisfied she, indeed, had won, she texted her fiancé, Zach Cohorst, in Egypt, where he is serving with the Kansas Army National Guard.
“Of course, he thought I was kidding,” said Ciara.
Ciara works in the beauty shop her mother owns, Classy Cuts Too, in Basehor. Ciara plans to buy her mother a new car with her prize money, and will also save some for a wedding cruise planned for February 2011.
More like this story
- Suspect in homicide case takes authorities on vehicle chase that ends in Basehor
- 3 suspects in custody after high-speed police chase ends in Lawrence
- Former nurse accused of sexual assaulting Kansas patients
- Health Department workshop teaches health-related community planning
- Tonganoxie youth remembered for 'lighting up a room'