10 Years Ago (Sept. 9, 1999)
The steering committee accepted the site plan for the new Centennial Park at the corner of Second and Cedar streets.
Susan Berry, principal, announced that 171 students were enrolled at Sacred Heart School.
Sam Kemler, Basehor Kiwanis Club, was heading plans for the bloodmobile visit.
25 Years Ago (Sept. 13, 1984)
Bonner Springs Industrial Development, Inc. presented its annual awards to Byers Glass and Mirror and Winchell’s Donut House. Ken May was president. Joyce Richter, Basehor, won first place in the weekly Chieftain-Sentinel Grid Guessing Game.
Jeff Morris was the new head football coach at Linwood High School. Jeff Johnson, quarterback, was among the returning starters.
Jerry Potter was the new superintendent at Bible Baptist School in Bonner Springs.
50 Years Ago (Sept. 10, 1959)
Sharon Merritt was the new worthy advisor of the Bonner Springs Rainbow Girls.
Southwestern Bell Telephone Co. purchased the Suburban Telephone Co. from Foster Laming. Southwestern Bell served all customers between Lawrence and Kansas City.
Gil Jackson, Jackson’s 66 Service in Edwardsville, announced the installation of new wheel alignment equipment.
The Basehor Garden Club planned to hold a plant sale with proceeds going toward the construction of a town hall building.
100 Years Ago (Sept. 9, 1909)
Charles Hammond was remodeling and enlarging his store in Basehor.
G. G. Gheen was the new president of the financially troubled Bonner Springs Portand Cement Co. Charles Knabb was the new vice president and they pledged to pay all of the debts of the plant.
The Bonner Springs school faculty attended a county teachers meeting in Kansas City, Kan. Miss Foote, a local teacher, gave a vocal solo accompanied by Mrs. Jewett, another Bonner Springs teacher.
J. D. Waters was the new master of the Bonner Springs Masonic Lodge. L. C. Stout was the treasurer.
George Peters was building a new home on Nettleton Avenue.
The Chieftain pointed out that for the first time in its history, every page of the newspaper was printed locally.