Archive for Thursday, September 17, 2009

Remember When

September 17, 2009

10 Years Ago (Sept. 16, 1999)

Doug Clements was appointed to the Bonner Springs City Council replacing David Boal who became a district court judge.

Jamie Florence, Basehor, participated in special science program at George Washington University in Washington, D. C.

Dorothy Bretthorst and Cheryl Coleman were shown in photos working at the annual Bonner Springs United Methodist Church barbecue.

Ben Denk was the starting quarterback for Basehor-Linwood High School.

Weldon Padgett, Bonner Springs city manager, conducted a public forum to discuss economic development.

25 Years Ago (Sept. 20, 1984)

The goal for the Bonner Springs-Edwardsville Division of the United Way was $100,000. Mike Paulus and Jeanette Porter were co-chairpersons for the drive.

The Bonner Springs City Council discussed the possibility of constructing a new public works building.

More than 80 crafts booths were expected for the annual Grinter House Applefest.

George Dingey was the speaker at the Rotary Club meeting and presented a program on hot air balloons.

The Sinai-Timmons PTA contributed a laminating machine to the school. Tressa Richardson was PTA president.

The Bonner Springs volleyball team posted its first-ever win over Bishop Miege.

50 Years Ago (Sept. 17, 1959)

Nat Nast was discussing the possibility of opening a plant in Bonner Springs.

The Bonner Springs Council of Clubs met at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Peasley.

Bonner Springs grid fans were planning a motorcade to the opening game of the season at Tonganoxie. Gene Cox was the head football coach.

A dedication was held for a second dining hall at Camp Naish. Judge Harry Miller presided at the ceremony and was assisted by Bonner Springs Boy Scouts John Price, Terry Cavanaugh, Ben Hynds and Gen Price Jr.

A committee composed of F. W. Stockwell, Don I. Kirby, Mrs. Anne Miller and Mrs. Blanche Schubert were studying possible sites for the new, combined Walker and Twist Schools.

100 Years Ago (Sept. 16, 1909)

The Bonner Springs Epworth League held a reception for teachers with Lillian Everett hostess. Prof Pfeiffer and 10 teachers attended the event.

John McDanield was seeking right-of-way to extend the railroad line from Lake Forest to Edwardsville.

The Montgomery-Ward baseball team left the field after the top of the eighth inning trailing Bonner Springs, 13-2. The win established Bonner Springs as one of the top teams in the area.

Total assets of the First National Bank of Bonner Springs were $157,037.58 according to Lewis Kreeck, president.

The Basehor Home Study Class met at the home of Mrs. E. Knight.

After purchasing a new automobile, A. Baxter was having a garage built at his home.

Dr. Lee was moving his office into space in front of the Chieftain office.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.