Archive for Thursday, August 19, 2010

Remember When

August 19, 2010

10 Years Ago (Aug. 17, 2000)

Chieftain-Sentinel Publications announced its sale to the World Company of Lawrence. The sale of the newspapers and shopper was effective Oct. 1.

Roger W. McLean, Wyandotte County District Court Judge, was the featured speaker at the annual Mayor’s Banquet, which was the opening event of Tiblow Days.

The Edwardsville City Council dismissed Jim Kaup from the position of city attorney.

The City of Basehor issued nine new residential building permits during the first seven months of the year. This was an increase of one from the previous year.

25 Years Ago (Aug. 22, 1985)

Mary Ann Allen retired from her position as executive secretary to Bob Evans, Bonner Springs city manager.

Pisano’s Pizza opened for business in Edwardsville Plaza Shopping Center.

Bummy’s Restaurant opened for business in the building previously occupied by Dari Dine.

Tom Pretz was the new principal at Linwood High School.

Jerry Bredwell was chairman for the Rotary Club Tiblow Trot. The race was sponsored by Winchell’s Donuts, Lone Star Industries and the Bonner Springs Rotary Club.

The Rev. William Rushing was the new pastor of the Bonner Springs Church of the Nazarene.

50 Years Ago (Aug. 18, 1960)

The 13th Annual Wyandotte County 4-H Fair was scheduled. Harry Duckers was the county agent and Dorthea Schroeder was the HDU agent.

Cecil Lee and his son, Herb Lee, opened a fruit market at the corner of 78th and State.

The Bonner Springs Wildcats baseball team coached by Hugh Ferguson and Steve Kemmerling won the Kaw Valley Little League with a 14-7 victory over Muncie.

Cathy Millsap gave the project talk at the Glenwood 4-H Club. Larry Theno presented the health talk.

Bids were received for the new Bonner Springs Post Office building to be built at the corner of Cedar and Second Streets.

Camp Naish closed for the season. Approximately 3,300 boys attended summer sessions.

100 Years Ago (Aug. 18, 1910)

The Bonner Springs School Board voted to issue $5,200 in bonds to complete construction of the new school building.

Marshall Ben Millstead warned bicycle riders not to use the sidewalks. He said those violating the rules will be issued tickets.

The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution started a campaign to raise funds to save a cabin, which had been owned by Henry Tiblow. Mrs. H. C. Hayes was chairman of the project.

The Rev. McCampbell was conducting a tent revival meeting in Basehor. Large crowds were attending the services.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.