County approves funding for airport site study
After learning the Federal Aviation Administration approved a grant for a site selection study for a new general aviation airport in the county, Leavenworth County commissioners started considering the next step.
Entwined in that discussion was what voice county residents should have in the step-by-step processes needed to move a possible airport forward.
The discussion started when Leavenworth County Administrator Heather Morgan told commissioners Thursday, Aug. 19 that she received notification the FAA approved a grant not to exceed $149,320 to pay for a study of possible sites for a new airport. The county’s share of the required $7,500 local match is $4,200 with local partners picking up the rest.
The commission will consider formally accepting the grant Thursday after County Counselor David Van Parys reviews the grant agreement.
With the news of the FAA grant, Commissioner Clyde Graeber asked his fellow commissioners what would be the next step in the possible new airport’s development. He reminded them the commis
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Bonner Springs balloon fest puts the helium in Halloween
- Kansas City Connection: 'Christmas Cheer' from a new 'Nutcracker' to Charles Dickens
- Kansas City Connection: Getting pumped for postseason baseball
- Kansas City Connection: The Sundry shows off its suppliers
- Education focus: Academic boot camp program puts veterans back in the classroom