Letter to the editor: Finding fossils
To the editor:
Did you know every day, locally owned companies crush history? The sixth-graders at Clark Middle School went to I-435 and Donahoo to go rock hunting. We learned all about igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary rocks. There are many types of rocks but in our area we find mostly sedimentary rock, specifically limestone.
In that limestone we discovered fossils! The fossils included ancient plants and animals from over 300 millions years old. Scientists use these to unlock events of the past. However, when we called companies, we were shocked to find that many said they did not know fossils were in the rock they were crushing. We also asked if they would go out of their way to find fossils and not crush them, and they said they would not go out of their way! We wanted all of Bonner Springs to know!
Everyone needs a fossil, so please don’t destroy them all before people can find theirs!
Clark Middle School sixth-grader,
More like this story
- Preliminary data has 99 tornadoes reported in Kansas in May
- County commissioner shuns bilingual Spanish TV reporter
- 2 USD 204 board members would be unable to serve under proposed law
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it
- Basehor recognizes police officers, public works employee who helped arrest sex offender