Leavenworth County garbage collector killed in accident
Man identified as a 24-year-old Lawrence resident
Leavenworth County sheriff’s officers said a trash collector died Wednesday after being run over by a trash truck.
A Honey Creek Disposal truck driven by Kevin W. Colon, 26, Eudora, was backing into a driveway to pick up trash from a rural Lawrence home, when he ran over another employee who was lying on the ground, according to Leavenworth County Undersheriff Ron Cranor.
Cranor said officials presume that the employee, Timothy E. Schonhoff, 24, Lawrence, hopped out of the cab and was walking on the side of the truck when he slipped and fell to the ground. Schonhoff died at the scene.
The accident occurred in the 26000 block of Ninth Street, which is about 2.5 miles north and one mile east of Lawrence Municipal Airport. The residence has a Lawrence mailing address.
The property is very close to the Leavenworth County-Jefferson County line, but the property owner identified the site of the accident as being in Leavenworth County, Cranor said.
More like this story
- Two men die near Lansing in apparent murder-suicide
- Sheriff’s office awaiting report on cause of death for Bonner Springs man in wreck
- 10-year-old Leavenworth County girl dies in RTV accident on farm
- Leavenworth County undersheriff reflects on long career
- Leavenworth Co. undersheriff reflects on long career