Leavenworth penitentiary warden says he will retire
The warden of the U.S. Penitentiary in Leavenworth says he plans to retire at the end of January.
Claude Chester began his career at the federal prison as a correction officer. He worked at several federal institutions during his 27-year career before being named warden in Leavenworth in 2007.
The Leavenworth Times reported that Chester announced his plans to retire last week.
The 51-year-old Chester says he plans to take a break before deciding what he will do next.
There’s been no word yet about a possible successor for Chester.
More like this story
- Bonner drama club provides performance outlet for secondary students
- Face to Face: Bonner Springs business owner Val Barth
- Kansas City Connection: A bakery to satisfy your cookie addiction
- Kansas City Connection: Char Bar, Sleater-Kinney, Zubaz and giant Lego sculptures
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary