Leavenworth penitentiary warden says he will retire
The warden of the U.S. Penitentiary in Leavenworth says he plans to retire at the end of January.
Claude Chester began his career at the federal prison as a correction officer. He worked at several federal institutions during his 27-year career before being named warden in Leavenworth in 2007.
The Leavenworth Times reported that Chester announced his plans to retire last week.
The 51-year-old Chester says he plans to take a break before deciding what he will do next.
There’s been no word yet about a possible successor for Chester.
More like this story
- Basehor VFW dinner a success thanks to volunteers
- Perfect Patch: Kerby Farm part of families’ fall traditions
- Pumpkin weighing it at 1,034 pounds sets new Kansas record
- Kansas City Connection: Don't be a stranger to this pie social
- Leader of Bonner Community Thanksgiving Dinner ready to hand over reigns