Archive for Thursday, December 30, 2010

Remember When

December 30, 2010

10 Years Ago (Dec. 28, 2000)

Randy Lowe, Bonner Springs High School wrestling coach, announced he was moving to a similar post at the new Blue Valley West High School for the 2001-2002 School year,

The Bonner Springs Lions Club made a $100 donation to Vaughn-Trent Community Services, Inc.

A $100 gift certificate from Bichelmeyer’s Grocery was the top prize to be given in a drawing at the Basehor Boy Scout Troop 169 chili and soup supper.

Bonner Springs’ merchants reported excellent sales during the Christmas season. Sales at the Thriftway Store were up about 8 percent.

25 Years Ago (Jan. 2, 1986)

Eric Stonestreet was the president of the Mayginnis Hustlers 4-H Club.

Wayne Johnston, president of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas, was the speaker at the Bonner Springs-Edwardsville Chamber of Commerce installation banquet.

Tom McMorris was president of the Bonner Springs Branch of the NAACP.

Joyce Hickmon and Mel Holliday were members of the Kansas City Kansas Community College basketball team.

Aimee VanDeBerghe won the giant stocking filled with presents and given away by Bonner IGA.

50 Years Ago (Dec. 29, 1960)

The Timmons Grade School basketball team remained in first place in the county league with a 34-17 win against Piper. Orville Brown led the scoring with 17 points.

Kay Haines Beach, cashier at the Edwardsville State Bank, was the director of the community chorus. Mrs. C. H. Branson was the accompanist.

Mrs. Harry Calvird was the new worthy matron of the Bonner Springs Eastern Star.

Plans for a building expansion of school facilities at Linwood were being discussed. T.W. Gray was the Linwood Superintendent of Schools. The proposed expansion was estimated to cost $230,000.

100 Years Ago (Dec. 29, 1910)

Bethel defeated the Bonner Springs High School basketball team, 24-11. Wharton scored six points for Bonner Springs.

Thieves broke into the J. C. Kuhn Store and stole money and merchandise.

Two boys, ages 12 and 14, ran away from their home in Turner. They were apprehended by Marshall Millstead and kept overnight in the local jail and returned home the following morning.

Rev. and Mrs. Houts of Basehor were out-of-town visiting relatives.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.