Torrez, Seaton victorious at Mat Classic
The Basehor-Linwood wrestling team had a trio of finalists and two individual champions on Saturday at the Dick Burns Mat Classic at Bonner Springs High School.
Junior Michael Torrez captured the 103-pound title and junior Symon Seaton finished first at 125 pounds to pace the Bobcats.
Senior Joe Johnson battled his way to the finals and finished second at 160 pounds.
The trio helped BLHS place seventh as a team, just two points out of fifth, in a field that grew stronger even as teams dropped out of the tournament because of weather.
The latest round of winter snowstorms forced a handful of teams to drop out of the tournament at the last minute — including a strong Class 6A program in Shawnee Mission Northwest — but other squads joined the field at the last minute, too. Those teams included first-place Gardner-Edgerton and third-place St. Thomas Aquinas — both Class 5A powerhouses. Bellevue (Neb.) East placed second after winning the 2009 tournament title.
For a full recap of the tournament, pick up Thursday's edition of The Sentinel.
More like this story
- Face to Face: Basehor High principal Sherry Reeves
- Art festival, patriotic celebration to take over Downtown Bonner June 27
- Police officer lauded for how he handled shoplifting case
- Shooting at Overland Park duplex kills woman, wounds girl
- Generating change: Ag Hall looks to reinfuse energy with Barnyard Babies event