Fourth-quarter surge lifts BLHS boys past Turner
The Basehor-Linwood boys basketball team used a 21-point fourth quarter to defeat Turner on Tuesday.
The Bobcats defeated the Bears, 62-39, in a game that was rescheduled from earlier in the season.
BLHS led 41-33 at the end of the third quarter and built on its lead early in the fourth.
“It took us a while to get going. We were flat early in the game,” coach Mike McBride said. “We put it on them in the last two minutes of the third and first two minutes of the fourth quarter.”
That stretch of play widened the Bobcats’ lead to double digits and clinched the game. Three players scored in double figures.
Colin Murphy led the team with 15 points. Ryan Murphy scored 13 points and Mark Vaca finished with 11 points.
The score was 12-9 at the end of the first quarter, and was tied 20-20 at one point in the second quarter. BLHS closed out the second on a 6-2 run, highlighted by a Vaca 3-pointer late in the quarter. The Bobcats led 26-22 at halftime.
The two teams played a relatively even third quarter, and the score was 41-33 entering the fourth quarter.
With the win, Basehor-Linwood improves to 10-2 on the season and 5-0 in the Kaw Valley League. The team plays Tuesday at Tonganoxie.
More like this story
- Face to Face: Basehor-Linwood High coach Ross Schwisow
- Kansas State, other state universities see enrollment drop
- Kansas doctor, wife face new sentencing in overdose deaths
- Education focus: Dwayne Peaslee Technical Training Center prepares for fall push
- Audit finds UMKC business school ran up deficit to boost ranking