Weather doesn’t rain on Basehor’s parade
Despite the less than ideal conditions, the Basehor July 4 parade splashed through downtown Sunday as onlookers viewed underneath umbrellas.
The parade featured several traditional aspects – such as the mayor leading the way and the Basehor Veterans of Foreign Wars waving from a car-drawn wagon – but spectators also had a few new eye catchers like the Basehor-Linwood softball champions and Shriners clowns throwing candy.
"We're not going to let a little rain ruin our parade are we?" announcer Julian Espinoza asked and to which he received an enthusiastic "no" from attendees.
The rest of Sunday's events are proceeding as scheduled, provided the clouds overhead produce nothing more than light rain.
The schedule of events this year is as follows:
• 5:30 p.m. Food and concessions
• 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. moonwalk
• 6 p.m. Parade
• 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Games and activities
• 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Live entertainment
• 8:30 p.m. Citizen of the Year Award presentation
• 9 p.m. Color guard, gun salute and National Anthem
• 9:15 p.m. Fireworks display
Check back in with basehorinfo.com for updates.