Flash flood warning issued for area
A midsummer storm rolling through the area could cause problems at the evening rush hour.
Runoff from excessive rainfall will cause flash flooding to occur. Some locations that will experience flooding include Basehor, Bonner Springs, De Soto, Edwardsville, Shawnee, Kansas City, Kan., Lake Quivira, Lenexa, Merriam and Overland Park.
This line of storms has a history of producing extremely heavy rainfall in a short period of time. Excessive runoff from heavy rainfall will cause flooding of small creeks and streams, urban areas, highways, streets and underpasses, as well as other drainage areas and low-lying spots.
The National Weather Service warns residents to not underestimate the power of floodwaters. Only a few inches of rapidly flowing water, it noted, can quickly carry away a vehicle.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: The art of ‘Rising Up,’ and visiting some old haunts
- KCMO gallery plans Ulmer exhibit
- Kansas CIty Connection: Fall chock-full of colorful events
- Artist hopes Bonner's 'Marble Crazy' event broadens horizons
- Kansas City Connection: Pick up a unique gift at an upcoming arts and crafts fair