Johnson and Leavenworth counties under severe thunderstorm warning
The National Weather Service has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for Johnson and Leavenworth counties until 5:45 p.m.
NWS Doppler Radar indicated a line of thunderstorms capable of producing damaging winds in excess of 60 mph moving east from Oskaloosa at 20 mph and heading to Tonganoxie, De Soto, Basehor, Linwood, Reno, Jarbalo, Clearview City and Fairmount.
Along with damaging winds, this storm may produce nickel-sized hail, deadly lighting and heavy rains.
The NWS warns residents to move to an interior room on the lowest floor of your home or business.
They also advise that heavy rains may cause flash flooding. Motorists are advised to avoid areas where water covers the road.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Face to Face: Basehor business owner Sarah McArdle
- Kansas City Connection: The return of the Royals, and showtime for Middle of the Map
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday