BLHS girls hold off Bishop Ward
The Basehor-Linwood girls basketball team jumped out to an 11-3 lead early in its Class 4A substate opener against Bishop Ward Tuesday night at BLHS.
The lead didn't last long.
Ward rallied for a four-point lead during the third quarter and later tied the game in the fourth quarter before the Bobcats pulled away for a 38-33 victory.
Ward used a 6-0 run early in the fourth quarter to tie the game at 33-33, but the Bobcats used stifling defense during the final four minutes to regain control of the game.
Courtney Poe, Megan Bergstrom and Cassy Bever all hit free throws down the stretch to put the game away.
Bever led BLHS with 11 points, and Bergstrom and Poe added nine apiece.
Kylie Burns led Ward with 14 points.
BLHS (14-7) advances to face St. James Academy in the substate semifinals at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at home. Baldwin will face Sumner Academy in the other semifinal game.
More like this story
- Dual-sport athlete McDowell signs with Bethel
- Kansas to hold meetings, consider options for drone usage
- Wine and shine: Leadership class celebrating 25 years tonight at Holy-Field
- 2015 Candidate questionnaire: James Blancarte, Linwood City Council
- Kansas Board of Education to examine school laws, bonds