St. James strikes early, holds off Basehor-Linwood in tourney semifinals
Basehor-Linwood gave St. James Academy all it could handle during their semifinal matchup in the Butch Foster Memorial Baseball Classic, but in the end the defending tournament champion Thunder prevailed, 4-1.
St. James did all of its damage during the first three innings Friday night at CommunityAmerica Ballpark.
Adam Burns reached base on an error in the first inning and came around to score, giving the Thunder a 1-0 lead.
Nick Deichler hit a one-out single in the second inning, took second and third on passed balls and then scored on a base hit by Chase Jackson.
Austin Murrell and Burns both scored in the third inning and extended St. James’ lead to 4-0.
That proved to be plenty of support for Burns, the Thunder’s starting pitcher. He allowed a home run to Ryan Lawless in the fourth inning, but nothing else. He struck out four and allowed just eight base runners the entire game.
BLHS will play Holton at 5 p.m. Saturday in the third-place game. St. James will meet Spring Hill in the tournament title game for the third straight season. First pitch is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Spring Hill won the tournament in 2008 and St. James claimed the 2009 championship.
More like this story
- Basehor-Linwood shocks St. James in first round of BFMBC
- DAY TWO: Butch Foster Memorial Baseball Classic
- Basehor, St. James, Holton, Spring Hill reach Butch Foster Classic semifinals
- St. James, Paola, Holton advance in day one of Butch Foster Memorial Baseball Classic
- Braves plan to contend for tourney championship at Butch Foster Classic