Edmonds leads BLHS track to state
The era of having only one track and field state qualifier is done for Basehor-Linwood. The Bobcats broke through at the Class 4A regional championships Friday at Tonganoxie and are sending their largest squad in recent memory.
Dakkota Edmonds leads the way for BLHS. After narrowly missing out on a state berth last year, she will compete in three events this year. Edmonds placed fourth in the 100-meter dash in 12.84 seconds, took fourth in the 200 in 27.04 and helped the 400-meter relay team to a fourth-place finish in 53.17. Joining her on the relay team were Rachael Cook, Shelby Equels and Courtney Inlow.
In addition, three BLHS boys are headed to state. Daniel Prioleau, last year's lone qualifier, is headed back to state in the 100. He placed third in 11.29. Also for BLHS, Brian Pemberton took third in the pole vault with an 11-foot jump and Jay Kraemer took third in the javelin with a toss of 160-4.
For more coverage from regionals, pick up this week's edition of The Sentinel.
More like this story
- Push on to make catfish a Kansas state symbol
- Kansas City Connection: 'Christmas Cheer' from a new 'Nutcracker' to Charles Dickens
- Kansas City Connection: Bonner Springs balloon fest puts the helium in Halloween
- Face to Face: Bonner Springs pastor Ben Spencer
- Alarm clocks 'hated' but necessary since ancient Greece