Letter: Appreciating home-grown oil
Appreciating home-grown oil
To the editor:
In light of the recent offshore oil spill now is a good time to fully appreciate the value of Kansas’ independent oil and gas producers. Kansas oil and gas producers have an excellent record of safety and contribute billions of dollars to the Kansas economy each year.
During the 2008 calendar year Kansas oil and gas producers paid $442 million in severance and property taxes (not including sales and income taxes). This was a 44 percent increase from 2007 and overall a 303 percent increase over a decade.
This is a testament to the hard work of these small-business operators. Property and severance taxes alone constitute about 11 percent of the value of the product at the well head.
With the situation happening in the gulf it is time that we all show our deep appreciation to Kansas’ independent oil and gas producers who have a continuing record of improvement in environmentally safe production practices. The Kansas Independent Oil and Gas Association currently has over 1,400 members generating thousands of highly skilled jobs in communities across Kansas.
Ad Astra Per Aspera,
Treasurer of the State of Kansas
More like this story
- Kansas spent nearly $7,800 to rid state building of pests
- Face to Face: Bonner Springs Senior Center's Gloria Ochoa
- Ray Cox remembered as truly dedicated to his community
- Art festival, patriotic celebration to take over Downtown Bonner June 27
- Survivors of Jewish sites shooting victims plan remembrance