Archive for Thursday, November 11, 2010

Former business owner dies one day shy of 96

Roy "Scott" Goble, a former business owner in Bonner Springs, died Oct. 29, one day shy of his 96th birthday.

Roy "Scott" Goble, a former business owner in Bonner Springs, died Oct. 29, one day shy of his 96th birthday.

November 11, 2010

A longtime Bonner Springs businessman who narrowly survived a lightning strike as a 12-year-old died last month, a day short of his 96th birthday.

Roy “Scott” Goble, who operated Bonner Springs Auto Repair for 20 years, died Oct. 29.

Holly Goble provided a biography for her father-in-law that explained the lightning strike, his various forays into business and his views on exercise late in life.

When Scott was 12 years old, the story goes, he went fishing with his brother, Larmon, in a creek near their home in Piper.

When they came back, it started raining. They dropped the fishing rods and ran to house, which had an area underground for storms. When Scott returned to get the rods, he bent down to pick them up and at the same time, lightning struck. Larmon arrived to find Scott and a dead rooster on the ground. A doctor came on horseback to examine Scott and told the family there was no use giving the boy medicine. But, Scott made it through the night, then another night. The next day, he sat up and asked those around him, “What are all you people doing here?”

During the Great Depression, Scott worked for four years in the Civilian Conservation Corps in Northern Minnesota, earning $4 a month and clothes.

Later, he and his brother Larmon would drive an old Model A Ford to Wahlee, Wash., to pick apples for $15 a day.

In 1941, Scott came back to the area and married Dorothy Lyons.

During World War II, Scott started repairing airplanes at Pratt & Whitney. He went to school with 70 people, two of whom graduated as a classified airplane repair supervisor. One of them was Scott. One job was to run the airplanes at high speeds to test them and know what to repair.

Scott and Dorothy owned a small plane and loved to go flying, taking short trips.

When the war ended, Scott went on to the auto repair business, opening a shop in what is now the parking lot at Union Bank. Scott ran Bonner Springs Auto Repair for 20 years.

It was also known as “Scotty’s Garage,” where people liked to come and talk and visit with each other.

Scott and Dorothy bought a house in Bonner Springs and lived and raised their children, Stan, Roy, Ed and Mary.

After the garage closed, Scott and Dorothy lived the summers in Bonner and the winters in McAllen, Texas, for 15 years. Scott was the minister at the park where they lived. Dorothy taught the women how to make quilts. They gave the quilts to young mothers that couldn’t afford blankets otherwise.

From 2002-2009, Scott lived at the Nettleton high-rise, where he often could be seen sweeping the sidewalk or trimming the bushes.

There, he also walked at least 4 miles a day. When he thought his muscles were warmed up, he would walk backward. He said it worked the opposite muscles and helped him to keep his balance.

In 2009, he moved to Manor Care, where he continued to walk the halls both forward and backward.

Holly Goble said Scott loved his friends and former clients in Bonner Springs and offered this parting advice, which Scott always told customers at his shop: “Don’t forget to check your oil.”

The obituary for Mr. Goble can be found here.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.