Basehor edges Mill Valley
Basehor-Linwood and Mill Valley squared off for the Kaw Valley League football championship Friday night at BLHS, and the Bobcats squeaked out a 39-34 victory in a thriller.
Mill Valley led 14-12 at halftime.
The first five possessions of the second half resulted in touchdowns as BLHS built a 32-28 lead with 11:32 to go in the fourth quarter. After a MVHS punt, the Bobcats crafted another TD drive that was capped by a trick play touchdown when quarterback Colin Murphy threw a backwards pass to Nathan Quigley who lofted an 11-yard touchdown to Ryan Murphy.
The Bobcts' 39-28 lead didn't hold up, however.
After forcing a three-and-out, the Bobcats coughed the ball up one play later with a fumble. Mill Valley quickly drove down the field and scored to draw within 39-34 with 3:01 to go.
The Bobcats then failed to recover an onside kick, giving Mill Valley one last breath with 1:45 to go, but the Jaguars' drive ended when Colin Murphy intercepted a pass on fourth down.
Basehor-Linwood is now 6-0. Mill Valley falls to 4-2.
Please check back soon for a full recap.
More like this story
- Bonner drama club provides performance outlet for secondary students
- Organization Orientation: Bonner Springs-Edwardsville Kiwanis Club
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Kansas City Connection: A new home for Halls
- 2015 Candidate questionnaire: Jeanette Klamm, USD 458 Board of Education