10 Years Ago (Sept. 14, 2000)
Bonner Springs High School petitioned for membership to the Kaw Valley League.
Dr. Robert Potter was announced as the speaker for the Edwardsville Mayor’s Prayer Breakfast. Cindy McIntire was chairman of the event.
“Power of the Cat” was the theme for the Basehor-Linwood homecoming parade.
The Renaissance Festival opened for the fall season in Wyandotte County Park. Hot weather caused attendance problems.
Stephanie Eickhoff was the first candidate to file for the Edwardsville City Council.
25 Years Ago (Sept. 19, 1985)
The United Way goal for Bonner Springs-Edwardsville was $100,000. Jeanette Porter was chairman of the division. The drive got off to a good start when Champ Service Line employees contributed $11,000.
Knudsen Foods Inc. purchased the Meyer Dairy in Basehor.
The Salvation Army opened a branch office in Bonner Springs. Alma Wilson was in charge of the new facility.
Residents of the Piper area were involved in a bitter dispute with Kansas City, Kan., over proposed annexation.
50 Years Ago (Sept. 15, 1960)
Sharon Hall was the new Worthy Advisor for the Bonner Springs Rainbow Girls. Connie March was the Associate Worthy Advisor.
The Bonner Springs Lions Club was sponsoring a broom sale to benefit the Kansas Association for the Blind. Dal Grinstead was president of the local club.
Bonner Springs High School had an enrollment of 456 students according to L. l. Van Petten, principal.
The Bonner Springs Braves opened the football season against Tonganoxie. Jim Felay scored two touchdowns in the Black and Orange scrimmage.
The Christian Church announced plans to develop a 320-acre campground and conference center. The land was purchased in 1957 for $20,000.
100 Years Ago (Sept. 15, 1910)
The Farmers State Bank of Bonner Springs was paying 3 percent interest on one-year certificates of deposit.
The Peoples Store was sold to J. B. Trent of Kansas City, Kan. In addition to operating the store, he planned to work as a brick mason.
J. R. Cranfill, manager and owner of the Home Construction Co., was building bungalows at Lake Forest.
The Gordon Barber Shop was moved to the former location of the Penrod Meat Co. George Bringer was a new partner in the business.