KCKCC elevates Bruno to volleyball head coach
Although she's just one year out of college, Mary Bruno is prepared for her first college volleyball head coaching job.
She has been named the new coach at Kansas City Kansas Community College.
Bruno, 25, takes over for Fredrick Wagner who resigned July 15 to move to Colorado with his family.
"I'm humbled but very excited; I can't wait to get started," Bruno said.
Bruno was a part-time volunteer assistant at KCKCC in 2009 and a full-time volunteer assistant in 2010, so she is familiar with the program.
“We have two starters returning, Elizabeth Stevenson, who was honorable mention All-American and Academic All-American last year, and Tia Roberts, along with two returning redshirt freshman, a transfer from Pittsburg State and a good incoming class of freshmen I expect to do great things for this program,” Bruno said.
Bruno was born and raised in Kansas City, Mo. She was home-schooled through elementary and high school before earning a volleyball scholarship to Avila University. Three surgeries on a torn anterior cruciate ligament her freshman and sophomore years ended her playing career. Then she transferred to Rockhurst University and graduated last August with a bachelor's degree in Sports Science and a minor in Business.
Bruno has coached the KC Extreme club team for the past five years.
More like this story
- Suspect in homicide case takes authorities on vehicle chase that ends in Basehor
- Fascinating fasteners: Bonner woman shares button hobby through 'traveling museum'
- Edwardsville councilman accused of making racist statements
- Adult students find success with Bonner-based diploma completion program
- Bonner's Zumba classes create fitness 'family'