Basehor’s Torkelson helps Braves win 9-and-under World Series title
Chase Torkelson, an incoming fourth-grader at the Glenwood Ridge Elementary School in Basehor, helped the Shawnee Braves capture the USSSA 9-and-under World Series championship last week in St. Louis, Mo.
The Braves posted a 6-0 record en route to the championship. They knocked off the Rawlings Prospects in the final.
Torkelson proved to be a key contributor for the Braves as he pitched in three of the games. He was the winning pitcher in the title game.
Torkelson also won the Skills Throwing Competition at the tournament.
The Braves, formerly known as Wagner Classic Cars, are coached by Scott Wagner of Bonner Springs. In addition to their tournament schedule, the Braves play their league games at the De Soto 3&2 Baseball Complex.
More like this story
- Often overlooked historical site brings Kansas history to life
- Hand-sewn quilt reflects history of Lecompton
- U.S. Soccer National Training Complex to begin construction by summer
- Retired teacher humbled, honored to receive Marion Vaughn award
- Basehor-based Holy-Field takes top honors at wine competition