Letter: Sewer increase will hurt
To the editor:
Why did we let Glenwood Estates connect to the city of Basehor sewers and not charge the out-of-city fee of $4,200? Instead, we let them connect for $3,450. We lost $75,000 from the 100, more or less, homes at Glenwood Estates. And now we the people of Basehor are paying the extra fees. Now come the higher sewer service fees for the rest of us here in Basehor.
The city administrator tells me we have no extra money in sewer funds. The extra $75,000 would have been nice. So then maybe we would not have had to increase the fees on all of us by 40 percent. We could stand a 15 percent hike. This will hurt large families of five or seven people. Some will be paying $60, $70 or higher per month.
To the City Council members, I don’t see how you can look at the people here in our town and say this is necessary.
People are getting cut back on hours at their jobs. I don’t know of a single person that’s getting a 40 percent salary increase!
Everyone here in Basehor with concerns about the matter should come to the City Council meeting at 7 p.m. Jan. 17 and voice your opinions. We need a rollback on this terrible sewer rate hike.
More like this story
- Off-duty Shawnee firefighter administers CPR to 4-year-old at Tonganoxie Water Park
- Kansas' broad marijuana bill attracts bulk of GOP votes
- Tonganoxie youth remembered for 'lighting up a room'
- Edwardsville police implement new body cameras for officers
- Salina company acquires 13 vintage record presses