Remember When for July 7, 2011
Stories and events from The Chieftain in the first week of July 10, 25, 50 and 100 years ago.
10 Years Ago (July 5, 2001)
Vaughn-Trent Community Services and the Bonner Springs City Band were working to collect used band instruments and make them available to children from low-income families.
The Bonner Springs Rotary Club had a family picnic at the Wyandotte County Park. Roger Miller installed new members.
Bonner Springs classes from 1923 to 1959 had a reunion at the high school. Darrell Donohue was chairman of the event.
Chuck and Jane Wilderson and Carla Kaiser received business awards from the Basehor Chamber of Commerce.
25 Years Ago (July 3, 1986)
Dr. Phillip E. Martin joined the staff of Dr. Ernest Mitts and Dr. F. E. Waggoner.
Richard Laing, a junior at Bonner Springs High School, finished ninth in the World Series of Junior Golf Tournament at Dodge City.
The Rev. Charles Munson was appointed pastor of Edwardsville and Grinter Chapel United Methodist churches. His wife, the Rev. Winifred Munson, was named pastor of the Basehor United Methodist Church.
Basehor PTA announced plans to conduct a dunking booth during the Fourth of July celebration.
50 Years Ago (July 6, 1961)
Mrs. Noel Nyman was the chairman of the Bonner Springs Library Board of Trustees. Mrs. Harold Ewing was the librarian.
George Meyers, Hal Callahan and Norman Spring received their second class rank in the Boy Scouts.
Vesta Lee Lumber Co. opened for business and was off to a good start. E.O. Bishop was owner of the business.
John Metzler and Michael Bowker took first place in the regatta at the Lake of the Forest Fourth of July celebration.
100 Years Ago (July 7, 1911)
The Fourth of July celebration was a major success. Additional trains were added to bring patrons from Kansas City, Kan.
Wheat harvests produced excellent yields. Charles Mosley reported a yield of 46 bushels per acre on an eight-acre tract. Woodson McCray reported 42 bushels per acre on a 20-acre field.
Ed Ebert, Basehor, purchased a fancy buggy from Mr. Boushel.
J. D. Waters purchased the new water works for Lake Forest from W.S. Twist.