Remember When for July 21, 2011
News and events reported in The Chieftain during the third week of July 10, 25, 50 and 100 years ago.
10 Years Ago (July 19, 2001)
The Unified Government of Wyandotte County announced plans to increase the county portion of the mill levy by 74 percent.
Teri Holmes was appointed as the new principal at Basehor Elementary School. During the meeting Pat Jeannin, Ron Owens and Chris Claiflin were welcomed as board members.
Bob Van Maren, chairperson, explained changes in the format for Tiblow Days during the regular meeting of the Edwardsville Kiwanis Club.
Shawn McGuire won four events in the Lake and Country Club Swimming Championships at Leavenworth.
25 Years Ago (July 17, 1986)
Roy Davidson was named new manager of the Bonner Springs Federal Credit Union.
Bonner Springs Community Center construction work was scheduled to be completed by March, 1987, according to Bob Evans, city manager.
Bonner Springs VFW announced plans to donate a flagpole at Kelly Murphy Park. Harry Saunders was VFW commander.
Basehor United Methodist Church was designated as a historic structure. Jim Cook was president of the Basehor Historical Society.
50 Years Ago (July 20, 1961)
The Rev. George Vogt was named pastor at Mission Creek Baptist Church.
A special congregational meeting was set at Bonner Springs Methodist Church to discuss building plans. J. H. Griffith was chairman of the church board.
Bonner Springs Post Office moved to Second and Cedar streets.
100 Years Ago (July 29, 1911)
Claude King offered a $10 reward for the arrest of persons who vandalized his home.
There were seven organized baseball teams in Bonner Springs. The teams were the Grays, the Gray Juniors, National Bank, Class No. 2, Little Potatoes and two businessmen’s teams.
Thirty young people from the Christian Endeavor took a hayride to join Edwardsville youths at a picnic at Williamson’s Grove.
There were no injuries to Harry Leaned and Maud Kemler when the buggy they were riding in overturned.