Basehor Intermediate School students donate $700 to VFW Post
Students at Basehor Intermediate School last week raised about $700 for the Basehor VFW Post 11499 last week after post members asked for community support because of budget problems.
Michelle Ablard's fifth-grade students surprised six visiting members of the post with the funds on Friday after asking the veterans to help conclude a unit on the U.S. Constitution.
Before presenting the money they'd raised for the veterans, students stood and thanked them for their military service.
“I am not sure if there was a single person in the room who was not deeply moved when the students started to stand up one-by-one, look directly at the veterans and thank them for their sacrifices,” Ablard said.
Ablard's students had a bake sale to raise money, and students and staff from throughout the school donated to the fund, Ablard said.
More like this story
- Basehor VFW Post dinner to raise funds for fifth-graders' wreath project
- Basehor VFW Post seeking help to keep building
- Basehor VFW members give $525 to fifth-graders
- Veterans share military experiences with students
- Basehor fifth-grader with deep military lineage gives back through Wreaths Across America